Monday, July 12, 2010

Routines: not just for kids

As my summer break comes to a close, for the first time in my life I feel like it is okay. I am not sure why this is the case; maybe it is because this is the first summer I didn't have another gig or maybe it is because I am excited about the change in my career. However, I am really starting to believe that it is because I am such a creature of habit, and just like my students, I function better when I am in a set routine.

This summer I have found myself staying up later, sleeping later, taking more naps, waking up in the middle of the night, and eating worse. Now, some of this could be because of my lack of running for the past three weeks, but I believe a lot of it is from lack of routine.

For all of you 52-week-workers, I am not complaining one bit about having my summer off of work. In fact, I love it. By the end of the school year, I definitely need some time to myself away from my students, my classroom and time to reflect on my choices and effectiveness as a teacher. The summer also provides me with an opportunity to regroup for the new incoming group of students and prepare for the year ahead. However, my school district has moved to a new calendar that we are calling the blended calendar; we have a shorter summer and more breaks throughout the school year. For me this works perfectly because at this moment in time, I am ready to go back to work- my summer has been long enough. But I know that come October I will need another break; good thing I will now have two weeks in October!

For me summer is also a time of constantly being "on the go". Mr. Hoosier and I have not spent a single weekend here at home in the month of July. I feel like during the summer, our weekends fill so quickly and there isn't time to just "breathe". Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we are able to do so many things with friends and family, but there are times where I just love being at home.

So, as I sit in our office this morning drinking my coffee and eating my oatmeal, I have already gotten a 50 minute run in, showered, and after this blog, I will be on my way into my classroom to get some work done. Besides next week when we are on vacation in California, there will be no more haphazard routines. I am excited to get back into a routine. I am excited for a typical Sunday at the Preppy Hoosier Household: church, gym for me to teach, grocery store, pot of soup on the stove, and relaxation for the rest of the day.

For the first time in my life, I realize now why a routine is so important to not just my special needs students, but all students; it is important to me too as a 26 year old. So as many adults and kids complain about going back to school, I am ready! I am ready to bring on 30 new 5th graders and my daily routine. Not to mention, I love new school supplies :)

Until next time,

H =)


No comments:

Post a Comment